Monday, April 19, 2010

Week 47: Giorgio Moroder

A lot of people have been asking me for this one. For those of you who are unfamiliar, Giorgio Moroder was a key figure in the mid-to-late-1970s Eurodisco scene, and one of real pioneers of using synthesizers in dance music (or pop music in general, really).
The early part of his career took place in Munich, where he discovered Donna Summer (and wrote/produced the bulk of her catalog). In the late 1970s he moved to L.A., and ended up doing a ridiculous amount of film work. Seriously, if we're talking 80s pop trash and cheesy film soundtracks, Giorgio's name is bound to come up: he scored American Gigolo, Scarface, Midnight Express, Top Gun, Flashdance, The Neverending Story, and the colorized recut of Fritz Lang's Metropolis, among many others. He wrote/produced "Call Me" by Blondie, "Take My Breath Away" for Berlin, "(Highway to the) Danger Zone" by Kenny Loggins, almost anything you can think of by Donna Summer, and that's really just scratching the surface of the tunes he's made that literally EVERY LIVING CREATURE IN THE WESTERN WORLD knows (and let's not forget, he has a HUGE catalog of crazy underground synth disco gems on top of that).

So yeah, I suppose a mixtape makes sense. Here you go.

  1. Donna Summer; Spring Affair (Casablanca, 1976)
  2. Giorgio Moroder; Chase (Casablanca, 1978)
  3. Suzi Lane; Ooh La La (Elektra, 1979)
  4. The Three Degrees; The Runner (Ariola, 1978)
  5. Roberta Kelly; Trouble Maker (Chrissy Re-Edit) (Oasis, 1976)
  6. Donna Summer; Our Love (Casablanca, 1980)
  7. Munich Machine; Whiter Shade of Pale (Casablanca, 1978
  8. Giorgio; I Wanna Rock You (Casablanca, 1979)
  9. Giorgio; Utopia Me Giorgio (Casablanca, 1977)
  10. Donna Summer; I Feel Love (Patrick Cowley Mega-Edit) (Casablanca, 1982)
  11. Giorgio Moroder; Valley of the Dolls (Casablanca, 1980)
  12. Donna Summer; Sunset People (Casablanca, 1980)
  13. Amy Holland; She's On Fire (MCA Records, 1983)
  14. Melissa Manchester; Thief of Hearts (Casablanca, 1984)
  15. Madleen Kane; You Can (Chalet, 1981)
  16. Limahl; The Neverending Story (EMI, 1984)
  17. Giorgio; E=MC² (Casablanca, 1979)
  18. Sparks; When I'm With You (Ariola, 1980)
NEXT WEEK: Detroit Techno.

12 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD IT'S HERE

    I am SO EXCITED that I might claw my face off before I get a chance to even listen to this eagerly, eagerly awaited mastermix. THANK YOU CHRISSY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!





    Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprisingly pleased with this mix.

    This is so cheesy and I can't believe I am admitting this in public, but the never ending story mix brought tears to my eyes. I loved that movie as a kid and watched it whenever I was home sick.

    Great mix!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I've long been a Morodor fan, I've never really had a good mix put together. This looks pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fuck! Mr Murderbot! You alone have just inspired me to order an APC 40 and Ableton Live! Just did it (not looking forward to repayments...). You have become a new hero! The Christopher Hitchens of beats. I love you!!!

    Gerald Emerald

    ReplyDelete
  6. your blog is AMAZING!!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is absolutely fantastic


    JP

    ReplyDelete
  8. cheers dude ...

    up till now i just been enjoying your jungle mixes ... this is pretty far from what i'd normally listen to but i checked it out cause i love donna summer disco tracks too ...

    some cool stuff here

    nice to open my ears to new things

    ReplyDelete